THE Athletic Department Thread

30,537 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by SFAXE93
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I'm going to try and make this one.

Ask him about conferences if you end up shaking hands.

Consider it done. I'll hunt him down like a feral hog on a farm.
ljax1979
Saw that the Associate AD of External Affairs position was posted. Does anyone know if Wally is leaving or taking another position with the Athletic Department?
ServiceJack88
ljax1979 said:

Saw that the Associate AD of External Affairs position was posted. Does anyone know if Wally is leaving or taking another position with the Athletic Department?

He is leaving
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

ljax1979 said:

He is leaving

Bummer. I'm a big fan of Wally. I wonder if it's a case of "I didn't get the job" I deserved. Hard to say from my vantage point, but it feels like Wally was qualified from the standpoint of experience etc.

Wish him the best. I feel like he gave SFA a lot.
TallTexan
My biggest hangup with Wally is that his entire admin experience was under the tenure of one AD at one institution.

I don't think he'd have done badly, but I would have worried about the unknown unknowns he might have run into taking the role.

I hope the best for him though.
ljax1979
Good post, Tall Texan. I don't know Wally but it seemed like he had great ideas.

At some point I would like to see Ayo Taylor-Dixon as our AD. Alum, former athlete, high level D1 experience at a few schools. Jenny McGhee would be another great option.
BigJack85
ljax1979 said:

Good post, Tall Texan. I don't know Wally but it seemed like he had great ideas.

At some point I would like to see Ayo Taylor-Dixon as our AD. Alum, former athlete, high level D1 experience at a few schools. Jenny McGhee would be another great option.

I only had 2 interactions with Wally. Both were very satisfactory. Wally showed an excellent grasp of the metrics behind student attendance and student engagement/experience. I can't tell you how important that kind of information is , in our digital world. Where does Mike McBroom intend to take us? Idk, but hiring a "top shelf" D2 AD, is a good start. I think there's a genuine commitment to D1 athletics at SFA. Just what form will it take in the coming years.

Do we come to terms with our facilities shortcomings in baseball and pivot. To men's tennis or men's soccer. Either sport saves SFA some dinero Allows us to build in a niche sport.
ServiceJack88
Wally's last day at SFA was yesterday. He is now Sr. Associate Athletics Director for Championship Resources at Louisiana Tech. I wish him nothing but the best.
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

Wally's last day at SFA was yesterday. He is now Sr. Associate Athletics Director for Championship Resources at Louisiana Tech. I wish him nothing but the best.

Well deserved. Agree
SCH890
ServiceJack88 said:

Seems like we should just call Louisiana Tech Stephen F Austin Tech at this point lol.
SFASawmillGuy
Seems like we're a farm school for the Bulldogs now.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

Seems like we're a farm school for the Bulldogs now.

I'm just waiting for them to slide me some NIL money for my excellent commentary and then I'll be posting on their boards from then on.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.