2023-24 WAC Basketball

18,760 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by Jacks1989
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The bigger schools are reaping the WAC players.
No-look
SFAXE93
PurpleOut said:

Antonio Bostic left ACU for Oral Roberts.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Is it just me, or are both the Jacks and Ladyjacks fairing better than just about every other WAC school in holding on to most of their better returning players?
No-look
Seems that way to me also. On the men's side we just lost two to the portal and one of those left before the season was over. And if Kellogg hadn't moved on the ladies probably wouldn't have lost much at all.
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Is it just me, or are both the Jacks and Ladyjacks fairing better than just about every other WAC school in holding on to most of their better returning players?
Am I missing an update? Didn't the Ladyjacks lose Jorden, Angel, Zya, and AB? That's some of their best players.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Am I missing an update? Didn't the Ladyjacks lose Jorden, Angel, Zya, and AB? That's some of their best players.

You're not missing anything. But looking at the big picture locally, Zya didn't play at all and contributed nothing in a 27-win season, Angel had a bad year shooting the ball and had multiple scoreless games, and Kurstyn should fill in just fine for AB in the post. The only one who will really be missed will be Jordan. She was one-of-a-kind.

Think about the Ladyjacks' depth. They played at least 10 girls in every game. And you know Bishop is out there beating the bushes in the portal. BTW, just my opinion, but I think we're going to see one or two girls really bloom next Fall. I wouldn't be surprised if that will be Tyler and/or Kyla. They are both very athletic.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Glad Fanatic is being optimistic here but..........these losses not easily replaced. AB is a big loss, Harrison is irreplaceable and Angel while hot and cold shooting never stopped defensively on the court. Also lost the highly touted shooting recruit. As to what level Zya returns to from injury, that remains to be seen but still counted as a loss in my book.
Very glad that Bishop got the hire and I'm sure he is hard at it in recruiting and planning for next season.
That said I still believe the upcoming season will be more about rearming and reloading and will not be on par with last 2-3 years. Too much talent to be replaced. We do have a nice base of players returning and I suppose there might still be a portal signing or two but I see Bishop needing a year or two to get back to the levels we reached in the last 2-3 seasons.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Glad Fanatic is being optimistic here but..........these losses not easily replaced. AB is a big loss, Harrison is irreplaceable and Angel while hot and cold shooting never stopped defensively on the court. Also lost the highly touted shooting recruit. As to what level Zya returns to from injury, that remains to be seen but still counted as a loss in my book.
Very glad that Bishop got the hire and I'm sure he is hard at it in recruiting and planning for next season.
That said I still believe the upcoming season will be more about rearming and reloading and will not be on par with last 2-3 years. Too much talent to be replaced. We do have a nice base of players returning and I suppose there might still be a portal signing or two but I see Bishop needing a year or two to get back to the levels we reached in the last 2-3 seasons.

Agree. And, a first time HC plus at least two assistant coach positions to fill. It should be interesting.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Optimistic? Sure! But don't get me wrong. I have no illusions of grandeur. But I think that an18-20 win season will still be ours for the taking. And who knows, maybe we land a surprise or two from the portal.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'm just trying to "keep it real" as some used to say. Coaching change, loss of several key players and top recruit.
I think winning 18-20 games next season would be a good outcome after all the changes. However around town and even right here on this board we will have people saying "what's wrong with the Ladyjacks, they used to be good".
SFA Jack Fanatic
The entry date for the transfer portal for both men and women has now passed. The last day to enter the portal was yesterday.
No-look
Looks to be another very competitive WAC this year on the men's side. GCU, UVU and UTA are landing some studs. UVU just signed a four star big that a lot of big schools were after. UVU and UTA both have first year head coaches... I like our team this year, (stay healthy) added height, speed and shooters. Would loved to have gotten a 7' rim protector that averages a double double. Lol
BigJack85
Ray Harrison withdraws from NBA draft. Returns to GCU.
No-look
With Harrison and Blacksher in the back court they will be solid
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
No-look said:

Looks to be another very competitive WAC this year on the men's side. GCU, UVU and UTA are landing some studs. UVU just signed a four star big that a lot of big schools were after. UVU and UTA both have first year head coaches... I like our team this year, (stay healthy) added height, speed and shooters. Would loved to have gotten a 7' rim protector that averages a double double. Lol

And that's good that it's getting more competitive. It's what we wanted. Running through the Southland year after year was fun but we could go undefeated(and did) and win by 15+ every game and got no respect. Conference wins weren't quality wins no matter the margin. Now they are.
No-look
Anxious to see what CUSA team we will play.
SFASawmillGuy
No-look said:

Anxious to see what CUSA team we will play.

Im gonna laugh if it's just Sam Houston.
nacluth
Who's making it to the Sweet 16 first? Underwood or Keller? Discuss.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Well, for starters... One guy can 'buy' transfers with lucrative NIL cash from alumni and the other can't. And that one guy ain't Keller.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Well, for starters... One guy can 'buy' transfers with lucrative NIL cash from alumni and the other can't. And that one guy ain't Keller.
SFA has wealthy alumni. Not as many as Illinois, but NIL isn't the only reason Underwood has a better chance of getting there. He's a better coach at a higher profile program with more support. My opinion.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Got explanation of the seeding system, referees
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
Wish her well, as long as she moves out of the WAC. Good news for the Ladyjacks, though.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Interesting....Thought her and Avery B on the same team would have made UTA pretty good.
TallTexan
Starr Jacobs lands at UAPB.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Not on my bingo card at all.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

Not on my bingo card at all.
Me neither. She will dominate in the SWAC. I wonder what the rest of the story is.
nacluth
GCU gets picked by CBS as the #65 team in the nation in their top 101 preseason. Sounds fair to me.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

GCU gets picked by CBS as the #65 team in the nation in their top 101 preseason. Sounds fair to me.

Our two romps over them should propel us into the top 100.
SFAXE93
SFA88
One can't tell much from the GCU exhibition win over a bunch of aerospace engineers but it looks like their two new guards Foster and More can play. Harrison was told by NBA scouts he needs to hone some point guard skills, look for him to pass more this season. They have a 6'8" 270 lb transfer from Louisville that is better than the two big dudes they had last year. This year's 7 foot freshman is bigger and better than that kid they pressed into service last year (now gone) but still a bit awkward. I assume they redshirt him. They also have a 6'10" transfer from Arizona State. He was decent as a true freshman for ASU last year but he gets in foul trouble and likes to lollygag to complain to the refs. The Jack's will be able to frustrate him.

Every player at Embry-Riddle was smaller than their GCU counterpart. That will not be the case with SEMO on Monday. That game will provide a much better gage of their new players.
nacluth
ACU tops OK State, UTA tops Oral Roberts for two solid wins for the WAC. UVU did not look great in their tune up.

WAC/C-USA challenge starts Thursday. We'll see more how we're standing as a conference soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.